notes from the Guardian

Here is a portion of a text from the Guardian (Shoghi Effendi):

No Guardian of the Faith, I feel it my solemn duty to place on record, can ever claim to be the perfect exemplar of the teachings of Bahá'u'lláh or the stainless mirror that reflects His light. Though overshadowed by the unfailing, the unerring protection of Bahá'u'lláh and of the Báb, and however much he may share with `Abdu'l-Bahá the right and obligation to interpret the Bahá'í teachings, he remains essentially human and cannot, if he wishes to remain faithful to his trust, arrogate to himself, under any pretense whatsoever, the rights, the privileges and prerogatives which Bahá'u'lláh has chosen to confer upon His Son (...)

*          *          *

Some writings that I have read place the blame on Shoghi Effendi on lack of LGBT rights.  This is understandable, but please hear me out.  Shoghi Effendi died in 1957.  But in the United States anyway, homosexuality was not given by the American Psychiatric Association formal recognition until December 1973. (though some states were given various rights earlier) (1) (see year 1962)


Religion is, for its adherents, a strange yet wonderful place to be.  I recognize - not solely for the Baha'i faith but for all the faiths in the world - that there is a certain disconnect that comes in between 'the faith' and 'the person'.  When I left the faith, I tipped my hat to Steve Shives and his audio.  But for me, the Baha'i Faith had a deeper hold on me.  It had, in its essence, something more deeply humane about it.

I simply wish that the Universal House of Justice consider the changes which took place with the American Psychiatric Association in 1973.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baha'u'llah

agreement